To receive a veteran's exemption on the assessed value of your real or personal property, you must file your original DD-214 certificate (separation papers from active duty) in the Town Clerk's office. To qualify, you must have served during a time of war and been discharged honorably. You must file by September 30th to receive credit on the following year's tax bill.
There is no filing fee for the DD-214. A certified copy of your separation papers previously filed with another town is acceptable if an original is not available. Duplicate copies of DD-214 may be obtained by contacting the National Personnel Records Center at 800-827-1000 to request a Form 180 (PDF) or you can visit the archive government website.
For further information regarding your exemption, please contact the Town of Granby Assessor's office at 860-844-5311.
Resources for Veterans
- Guide to Veteran Benefits in Connecticut
- 2-1-1 of Connecticut Veterans - Benefits and Organizations
- Connecticut Department of Veterans Affairs
Office of Advocacy and Assistance
287 West Street
Rocky Hill, CT 06067
- Apply for Veteran Flag on CT Driver's License or ID Card
- U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs
- Veterans Experiencing Homelessness
- VA Regional Office
- Veterans Benefits
- VA Connecticut Healthcare System
555 Willard Avenue
Newington, CT 06111
- VA Education and Training Benefits
- Student Veterans of America
- National Archives - Request Veteran Records (DD-214)
- How to Obtain Your Certificate of Eligibility Online
- GI Bill Comparison Tool