Marriage Licenses

Marriage Licenses in Connecticut can be obtained in the Town Clerk's office of the town in which the marriage is taking place for a fee of $50. (Cash or check only.)

When applying for a license in Granby:

  • The ceremony must be taking place in the Town of Granby, Connecticut.
  • Be prepared to provide the following information: where you were born; the state or country in which your parents were born; the mother's maiden name; the date and place of the ceremony, and who will be officiating.
  • In order to expedite your request, the Marriage License Application (PDF) can be completed before you come to the clerk's office to request a license.
  • Both parties must appear and must provide proper identification such as a driver's license or passport.
  • If you wish your ceremony to be performed by a Justice of the Peace, you need to contact them directly.

What Are the Eligibility Requirements for Marriage

Any two persons may marry in Connecticut so long as both parties to the marriage meet Connecticut's eligibility requirements. View the Marriage Laws of Connecticut page.

A person is eligible to marry if such a person is:

  • Not a party to another marriage or a legal relationship that provides substantially the same rights, benefits, and responsibilities as a marriage or one of the following exceptions are met:
    • The person is joined in a civil union and such a person marries their civil union partner; or
    • The person is joined in another type of legal relationship that is substantially similar to a marriage and such a person marries the partner of such another relationship.
  • At least 18 years old or the following exception applies:
    • The person is a minor of at least 16 years of age and has received authorization to marry from the probate court judge of the district where the minor resides.
  • Not under the supervision or control of a conservator or the following exception is met:
    • The person is under the supervision or control of a conservator and such person has received written consent to marry from their conservator.
  • Not prohibited from marrying pursuant to section C.G.S. § 46b-21 which prohibits persons from marrying their parent, grandparent, child, grandchild, sibling, parent's sibling, sibling's child, stepparent, or stepchild.
View All