Connecticut State Law requires that anyone conducting business under an assumed name (DBA) must file a Trade Name Certificate (PDF) in the Town Clerk's Office in the town where the business is being conducted. All people who are authorized to sign on behalf of the business must sign their name on the Trade Name Certificate.
A Trade Name Certificate (PDF) may be obtained from the Town Clerk's office. Once it is completed with the business name and address, and the owner's name and address, it must be notarized by a Notary or Town Clerk. It is then filed in the Town Clerk's office with a $10 recording fee.
The trade name filing requirement does not apply to:
- Partnerships, if the partnership name contains the true last name of at least one of the persons comprising said partnership;
- Limited partnerships which have registered with the Secretary of State;
- Limited Liability Companies (LLCs) need to be filed with the Secretary of State office by visiting Connecticut's Business Services page.
- For more information, visit the State of Connecticut's Trade Names page.
To Register a Trade Name by Mail:
- Print and complete the Trade Name Certificate (PDF) and have the document notarized.
- Include a self-addressed, stamped envelope so we can return a copy to you.
- Include an additional $2 fee ($12 total fee).
- Mail the certificate including a check made payable to the Town of Granby in the amount of $12 to:
Office of the Town Clerk
15 North Granby Road
Granby, CT 06035
If you require additional information please refer to Connecticut General Statutes Section 35-1. For information about starting a business in Connecticut, please contact the Connecticut Licensing Info Center at 800-392-2122.