Information & Referrals

The focus of the Social Service Department is to coordinate existing federal, state, regional, and local services, to increase community awareness of these services, and to develop new programs to meet the needs of Granby residents. For more information about any of the following programs please call the office.

Infoline 211

The 211 infoline is a great resource for answering life's toughest questions. The service is 24/7, confidential, and free. Find information on emergency assistance, state, and local assistance, dealing with a crisis, information, resources, where to donate food, clothing, etc. Visit the 2-1-1 Connecticut website.

Medicare Assistance with "CHOICES"

For assistance with Medicare, MediGap, and Medicare Part-D applications, a CHOICES counselor is available by appointment on the third Wednesday of each month to assist. Call the Granby Senior Center to schedule an appointment at 860-844-5350. Alternatively, call 800-994-9422 as a resource for other town CHOICES location availability.

Medicare Savings Programs (MSP)

Helps pay for Medicare Part B premiums. The three levels are the Qualified Medicare Beneficiary program (QMB), the Special Low Income Medicare Beneficiary program (SLMB) and the Additional Low Income Medicare Beneficiary program (ALMB). Household income determines if the individual or couple qualifies for QMB, SLMB, or ALMB. All three programs pay Medicare Part B premiums. However, only QMB pays Medicare co-pays and deductibles for Medicare-covered services. Income limits for the three levels of the program are:

  • QMB: $2,135.32 for a single person and $2,894.92 for a couple
  • SLMB: $2,337.72 for a single person and $3,169.32 for a couple
  • ALMB: $2,489.52 for a single person and $3,375.12 for a couple

Extra Help with Prescriptions

If you are receiving Medicare and have limited income and assets, you may qualify for extra help with prescription and drug coverage. The amount of help you receive will depend on your income and assets. Help may be available to pay premiums and deductibles. Income and asset guidelines are:

  • Family of 1: Income less than $17,820, Assets less than $13,820
  • Family of 2: Income less than $24,030, Assets less than $27,600

Medical Insurance: HUSKY Program and Access Health CT

If you are without health insurance and live in CT, visit the Access Health CT website. Also, enrollment for HUSKY is always open.

Elderly (65 Plus) and Disabled Rent Relief - Renter's Rebate

What is the Renter's Rebate program? Qualified participants receive a partial rebate of his/her rent and utility bills. Applicant must have rented in Connecticut during 2021 and currently reside in CT in order to be eligible to apply. The program runs from April through the end of September. Checks are mailed to approved participants in October. The amount of the rebate check varies per individual. Maximum income guidelines apply and vary each year. Call Granby Social Services to see if you are eligible to apply.

Applicants must call the office to make an appointment and bring the necessary paperwork to complete the application process. Proof of all household income from 2021 and major utility expenses from 2021 (Income includes: Social Security income, Social Security Disability, pensions, annuities, wages, lottery winnings, and all taxable and non-taxable income sources. Expenses include rent and utility expenses-heating, electricity, water-paid from 2021). Cancelled checks or a letter from your landlord stating the amount of rent paid is acceptable. Applicants must apply in the Connecticut town they currently reside. Contact the Granby Social Services office to schedule an appointment.

Food Assistance Programs

Granby Food Pantry

The Granby Food Pantry is operated and run by the Farmington Valley VNA. Before using the Food Pantry you must qualify through Granby Social Services. Call to make an appointment 860-844-5350. Must be a Granby resident. The applicant needs to bring a photo ID; proof of residency and proof of income for all household members.

Waste Not Want Not Community Kitchen

  • Free community meal every Wednesday from 4:30 pm to 6:30 pm.
  • South Congregational Church, 242 Salmon Brook Street, Granby, CT 06035
  • No qualification necessary-just show up. The meal is free, but an offering is always welcome.

Mobile FoodShare

Noon-12:30 pm. Every other Tuesday (refer to the schedule below). Located behind South Congregational Church, Granby, CT. No qualification necessary-just show up. Plase park behind the church and the Visiting Nurses Building only. Do not park by the cones or near the area where the truck parks. For more locations visit FoodShare on the web.

First Congregational Church of Granby

  • Located at 219 North Granby Road, Granby, CT
  • Free meals on Sundays: Breakfast from 8:30 am to 10 am and lunch from 11 am to noon
  • No qualification is necessary, just show up.

Meals on Wheels

McLean Home provides meals for ill, homebound, or disabled persons, delivered by volunteers five days per week. A sliding fee scale is available. Call 860-658-3700 for additional information.

Salvation Army

Provides emergency assistance and disaster services to the needy. Programs include financial assistance, emergency shelter, outreach through home visits, and referral and advocacy for services. Contact Social Services at 860-844-5351.

Cox Communications Senior Citizen Discount Programs

A 15% discount on Cox Limited Basic Service is offered to qualified seniors. Discounts on telephone service may also be available through the Lifeline Program. Households must be eligible for a state-administered program including the Homeowners or Renters Tax Relief Program, CT Energy Assistance Program, SNAP, or Medicaid. Applications are available in the office.

Senior Housing Complexes

There are two senior housing complexes in town: Must be 62 plus and/or on disability to apply. The town does not accept applications. These complexes are not owned or operated by the town of Granby. Please contact each facility directly for an application, waiting list information, specific questions, and the like.

Stony Hill Village

Stony Hill Village is located at:
259 Salmon Brook Street
Granby, CT 06035

49 units of federally financed elderly and disabled housing (39 one-bedroom units, 10 large efficiencies). Income guidelines apply. Call their office at 860-398-5425.

Salmon Brook Elderly Housing

Salmon Brook Elderly Housing is located at:
287 Salmon Brook Street
CT 06035, Granby

32 one-bedroom units of federally financed elderly and disabled housing. Income guidelines apply. Call Mark at 860-653-7885 and leave a message.