Animal Control

The Granby Police Department has the responsibility of insuring that the needs of domestic animals are protected against cruelty and abuse. Towards that end, the Department contracts for the services of a part-time Municipal Animal Control Officer.

Municipal Animal Control Officer

Granby's Municipal Animal Control Officer is Ms. Jennifer Abalan. Ms. Abalan also works as the Municipal Animal Control Officer for the Town of Hartland. Her experiences have encompassed large and small animal care, farm animal care, as well as wildlife rehabilitation. Ms. Abalan maintains certification as an Animal Control Officer by the State of Connecticut Department of Agriculture.

As the position of the Municipal Animal Control Officer is part-time, requests for assistance pertaining to animals should be made directly to the Granby Police Department at 860-844-5335. For emergency requests please use 911. If you would like to leave a voice message for Ms. Abalan, please call 860-844-5335, ext. 5513.

Animal Shelter

The Town of Granby operates an animal shelter at 166 Salmon Brook Street (across from the McLean Game Refuge). This facility was opened in April of 2002 and was designed to serve the needs of dogs and cats that were the victims of abuse or neglect, animals that strayed from their owner's control, or animals impounded for investigative purposes.

Release of Animals

Animals housed at the shelter are redeemed for a fee of $15.  Additionally, there is a boarding fee of $15 per day. Prior to redemption and release to an owner, all dogs and cats must have proof of valid rabies vaccination. All dogs over the age of six months must also have a valid license from the town of residency prior to release.

Redemptions are by appointment only.


For information about adopting animals please visit the Pet Finder website. If interested in an animal that might be available for adoption from the Granby Animal Shelter, follow the link above and follow the menu options to search the Granby Animal Shelter postings.

Adoptions are by appointment only.


The State of Connecticut Department of Energy and Environmental Protection (DEEP) Bureau of Natural Resources Wildlife Division is charged with the handling of situations/complaints involving wildlife or non-domestic animals. The DEEP Wildlife Division can be contacted at 860-424-3333.

Black Bear and CubsBears

Sightings of bears should be reported directly to the DEEP at the above number. Such information facilitates the DEEP in tracking bears that might become a nuisance to local residents. Only situations in which the animal might place persons at imminent risk need be reported to the police department. The DEEP has provided information on the handling of bears near your home:

  • Do make bird feeders and bird food inaccessible by discontinuing the feeding of birds from late March through November.
  • Do clean and store grills away after use.
  • Do eliminate food attractants by placing garbage cans inside a garage or shed. Add ammonia to trash to make it unpalatable.
  • Don't intentionally feed bears. Bears that become accustomed to finding food near your home may become "problem" bears.
  • Don't leave pet food outside overnight.
  • Don't add meat or sweets to a compost pile.

For additional information please visit the Department of Energy and Environmental Protection website.