In 1869 the Granby Library Association (GLA) was created as a public stock corporation and a new structure was built to house a subscription library. In 1877, with financial support from the family of Laura Dibble Bunce, a new library was constructed in her honor. Following a fire in 1917, which destroyed the library, a new library was built.
In 1966, the Town mandated that one board should govern the library system in Granby resulting in the formation of the Granby Library Board. Later, in the early 1980s, the GLA ceded control of the library to the Granby Library Board and sold its building to the Town of Granby. Granby Public Library expanded its facility when the Senior Center moved into its new building in 2002. In 2014, both libraries joined the regional consortium, Library Connection, a non-profit cooperative of 30 public and academic libraries which share an integrated library system (CONNECT) and other technological innovations that improve the delivery of resources and services.
As the main library for the town, GPL offers public computer work stations, WiFi, fax, copier, meeting rooms and quiet study room, as well as books, DVDs, music, magazines, books on CD and free downloadable ebooks, digital magazines, multiple research databases and more.