Transfer Station Accepted Items

No household trash of any kind or commercial refuse is accepted at the Transfer Station. The following items are accepted. Permits are available as you arrive at the entrance gate. Proof of residency, such as a CT driver's license, is also required.

  • Auto Waste - Car batteries, waste oil, and anti-freeze are accepted
    • Batteries and waste oil may also be brought to the Public Works Garage any weekday from 7 am until 3 pm at:
      52 N Granby Road
      Granby, CT 06035
  • Books - Hardcovers, paperbacks, DVDs, CDs, records, and books on tape - no encyclopedias or multiple textbooks
  • Brush (fee associated with this item) - Must be clean, up to 6 inches round, cut to a maximum length of 6 feet, butt ends facing same direction
    • Wood chips are available free to Granby Residents (call Public Works for availability at 860-653-8960)
  • Bulky Items (fee associated with this item) - Furniture, carpeting & other large household items, scrap wood
  • Electronics - Computers and components, TVs, stereos, etc.
  • Leaves - For composting. Leaf compost is available free to Granby residents.
  • Mattresses - Mattresses and box springs.
  • Metal (fee associated with this item) - Ferrous metals (scrap metal, bicycles, lawnmowers, etc.) and metal goods (stoves, washers, dryers, etc.)
  • Paint - Accepted items are water-based and oil paints, deck stains, shellacs, etc. Items must be in their original container and have no rust
  • Propane Tanks (fee associated with this item) - Valves must be left on.
  • Refrigerant-Bearing Items (fee associated with this item) - Refrigerators, freezers, air-conditioners, dehumidifiers, etc.
  • Single Stream Recycling - See What's In/What's Out - Connecticut's universal list of recyclables
  • Textiles - Clean used clothing, linens, shoes (tied together!), handbags

Special Situations

  • Bulky Waste - If you are unable to make arrangements to dispose of household bulky items, appliances, etc., you may schedule a curbside pick-up directly with Paine's Incorporated by calling 860-844-3000. A separate fee will be charged for this service.
  • Construction Debris - If you have large amounts of construction debris or materials from remodeling, you will need to contract with a private hauler. You may call Public Works for a list of contractors registered with the Town. Small amounts of construction materials may be brought to the Transfer Station if you obtain prior approval from the Department of Public Works.
  • Hazardous Materials - (Turpentine, household cleaners, chemicals, etc.) Must be disposed of at a special collection site. See "Household Hazardous Waste" on this website or call Public Works at 860-653-8960 for details.
  • Christmas Trees - The Public Works Department provides curbside Christmas tree collection in the first two weeks of January. Trees can be dropped off at the Granby Transfer Station on Saturdays from 8 am to 3 pm.